According to the latest statement by the police, 17 people so far have lost their lives after a massive blaze wiped out on the early hours of Wednesday the 24-storey Grenfell Tower in North Kensington.
The authorities expect the number of dead to rise even further.
Emergency services have said that their rescue crews do not expect to find anyone still alive inside the now charred residential tower.
30 people remain in hospital, with 17 of those in critical care.
London Fire Commissioner Dany Cotton said on Thursday morning that the identity of a number of victims had been confirmed. “But we know there will be more.”
She also stressed that because of the size of the building and the scale of destruction a complete search might take weeks to complete.
Asked about how many people are still unaccounted for Met Police Commander Stuart Cundy said it would be “wrong and incredibly distressing” to give a number.
Prime Minister Theresa May has announced a public inquiry into the tragedy.