Are you dreaming of escaping the dreaded British Winter? With the awful summer, we’ve had so far, who could blame you?! Every year thousands of Britons flee for sunnier climes to avoid the dark, dreary days that descend upon us and with a particularly harsh winter predicted to hit the UK this year, it’s no surprise that number is set to grow.

Now, a new BBC One Series; Escape for the Winter is helping people make their dream winter getaway a reality. They want to hear from people who are thinking about or are already planning their trip.

The series will pair sun seekers up with a reputable property expert who will help them get to grips with the local area, as well as secure a property that fits their brief and budget.

If you would like to find out more, contact the casting team at Friel Kean Films on 0141 331 0318 or email: escapeforthewinter@frielkeanfilms.com.

BBC Series ‘Escape for the Winter’ are currently casting for Greeks & Cypriots for winter getaway format


Article written by London Greek Radio

Two sisters are hoping to find their biological father – more than 50 years after he disappeared.

Charlotte and Natalie Innes are looking for a man they only know as ”Andreas”, who lived with his family on Bourne estate, in Holborn, in the 1960s. Their mother, Pauline Innes, suffered a breakdown and put her two children into care after Andreas was forced to return to his Cyprus homeland for national service.

Natalie, who had just been born at the time, said she had been told that when her father returned from Cyprus he was told he was no longer welcome – and was never seen again.

”I think she was just absolutely heartbroken that he had to leave,” she said of her mother. ”There probably would have been some help for her had it been now. They probably would have given her some anti-depressants or something – but in the mid-1960s there was nothing like that. ”She had to put us two into care. We were living in a children’s home close to Bourne estate.”

Natalie, 53, said that after three years the two girls were taken out of care by their mother when her mental health improved. She settled down with another man, who for most of their lives they thought was their father. ”We were always one big family but we did always look quite a lot different to the other four children,” said Natalie. ”We have dark eyes, darker skin.”

She discovered what her real father looked like only after her adoptive father showed her a photo found in her mother’s belongings after her death.

Natalie said: ”When I was in my 20s I just thought: ‘What’s the point in knowing anything about him. Your father is the man that brings you up.’ ”I also didn’t want to upset his family. He would have started a new life and it could be upsetting for his family if two women appeared out of nowhere saying they were his daughters. It could be tough on his children. But it’s been so long now… Then the other day, my grandchildren were doing the family tree. It was wrong, of course, because they had us down as coming from the same father. So we told them what had happened. It really got us thinking that we should make an effort to find him now.”

She added: ”It’s quite likely he’s still in London. He would be 70 or 80 now. I think I’d just like to sit there, across from him and listen to him speak. I would just like to ask him for his side of things, to find out what happened.”


Article written by Tom Foot, Camden New Journal

Hundreds of tributes have been paid to 18-year-old British Cypriot George Zographou after he died in hospital after contracting meningitis.

A Bristol student who died after contracting meningitis was a star student and had done well in his A levels.

Bristol teen George Zographou dies after contracting meningitis and falling ill while at Boardmasters Festival

George Zographou – better known as Zoggy to his close friends – died on Wednesday, August 16, after falling ill at the Boardmasters Festival in Newquay last Saturday.

The pupil at St Brendan’s Sixth Form College had been due to collect his A level results on Thursday with his close friends and family.

But tragedy struck on the weekend and he fell into a coma and was brought to Royal Cornwall Hospital.

He died around 1.40pm on Wednesday. Instead of huge celebrations, there was a sombre mood at St Brendan’s today as his close friends collected their results.

Instead of huge celebrations, there was a sombre mood at St Brendan’s today as his close friends collected their results.

Michael Jaffrain, principal of the college, said his staff had been left in tears at the news and called it a day of ”great achievement and sadness”.

He added: ”George would have done really well in his A level results, and he had done really well in his GCSEs.

”We briefed the staff first thing in the morning about the situation and we had extra members of staff on hand to provide support to the pupils.

”There were also three members of Public Health England in a room in case there were any questions from parents, pupils and staff who were trying to understand what happened.

”Many of hi Mr Jaffrain paid tribute to the talented young man, who was also a brilliant striker for local teams in Bristol.

”He was very academic – popular and clever – and in terms of his studies he was very interactive in class.

”We had teachers in tears today when they heard about it. We rang the teachers that taught him over the last few years to update them about the situation.

”It’s terrible.

”He was a popular pupil among his peers and teachers, and really nice and just a really good boy.

”George would have done well today.”His friends signed a book of condolences.”

His friends signed a book of condolences.”

They wrote: ”Very sad news.

”On the eve of A Level results day, we are very sad to hear the shocking news of the death of a former student.

”George Zographou was a much admired student, a talented sportsman and academic and a good friend to many. He left Colston’s after achieving a great set of GCSE grades and then attended St Brendan’s.

He left Colston’s after achieving a great set of GCSE grades and then attended St Brendan’s.

”He was taken ill earlier this week with meningitis and passed away today.

”Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends at this difficult time.”

Here at London Greek Radio, our thoughts are with George’s family at this time.


Article written by London Greek Radio

Actress Zoe Laskari, best known for her stellar performances in Greek films of the late 1960s, has died at the age of 72.

According to reports, Laskari was found dead at her home in the coastal resort of Porto Rafti, east of Athens, on Friday 18th August.

The cause of her death has not been released.

Crowned a beauty queen in 1959 at the age of just 15, she made her debut appearance in Greek cinema two years later in Katiforo (Downhill), a film by the prolific Greek producer Filopimin Finos.

Some of her later movies were Stefania (1966) and Oi Thalassies Oi Hadres (The Blue Beads) (1967). Other Laskari film hits included Nomos 4000 (Law 4000), Merikoi To Protimoun Kryo (Some Like It Cold), Koritsia Gia Filima (Girls Made For Kissing), Dakrya Gia Tin Ilektra (Tears For Electra), Mia Kyria Sta Bouzoukia (A Lady At The Greek Bouzoukia) and Marijuana Stop.

Her stage work included famous plays like Edward Albee’s Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? the ancient Greek tragedy The Trojan Women by Euripides and Neil Simon’s Barefoot in the Park. Laskari’s first television appearance was her leading role in the TV series Romaios Kai Loulieta in 1976.

In 1985, at the age of 41, she became the first major movie star to take her clothes off for a legendary Playboy (Greek edition) shooting. She was reportedly paid an obscene amount of money for her appearance on the magazine’s cover.

Laskari, whose real name was Zoe Kouroukli, is survived by her two daughters, Martha Koutoumanou and Maria-Eleni Lykourezou, and her husband, the prominent lawyer Alexandros Lykourezos.

Here at London Greek Radio would like to extend our condolences to her friends and family.


Article written by London Greek Radio

GREECE edged out Great Britain in tight EuroBasket warm-up…

Our own UK Greeks/Cypriots fan-base whipping up an electrifying atmosphere…

In front of nearly 5,000 fans representing both teams, Greece pulled out a nail biter of a win with Britain showing a worldwide audience just what they can do, in an 84-88 defeat.

GB trailed 84-83 with 24 seconds remaining and stole the ball, but missed a shot and a free throw, with Greece’s four free throws sealing the game.

Dan Clark had 23 points to lead GB’s scoring, with Gabe Olaseni and Luke Nelson adding 20 and 13 points respectively.

The defeat is GB’s fifth in their warm-up games for next month’s EuroBasket finals.

On a four-game losing streak after a 72-68 behind-closed-doors loss on Friday to their visitors, GB looked eager to make a mark early but had to come from behind to share the first quarter 22-22.

Greece were missing four regulars, including NBA star Giannis Antetokounmpo and two other starters, but their wealth of talent – almost the entire squad plays in the continent’s top league, the Euroleague – meant they were still tough opponents for head coach Joe Prunty’s team.

That showed in the second quarter as centre George Papagiannis, fed by classy point guard Kostas Sloukas, ignited a 10-0 run for a 32-25 lead before Gabe Olaseni and newcomer Luke Nelson brought GB back to lead briefly, 40-39 on Nelson’s assured three-pointer.

Down by two points at the break, GB slipped further behind before a storming 14-1 run, inspired by veteran Kieron Achara, brought GB a 65-59 lead at the end of the third quarter.

The return of Sloukas and increased defensive intensity gave the visitors an 11-0 start to the final quarter.

GB set up the chance of an unlikely win with a run of five unanswered point in the last two minutes, but Nelson’s drive and shot missed, and when Andrew Lawrence missed a free throw with six seconds remaining, Greece escaped to another win over their hosts.


Article written by London Greek Radio

A Greek woman was among those injured in yesterday’s vehicle attack in the Spanish city of Barcelona that left 13 people dead and dozens injured.

“She is in the city’s hospital in a critical condition”, a close relative told Greek private tv station SKAI.

The injured woman “was planning to leave Barcelona the next day.” (Photo-EPA)

The relative added that the unfortunate woman “was planning to leave Barcelona the next day.”

All Cypriot tourists who are in Barcelona on organized trips via travel agencies in Cyprus, are accounted for and are all in good health, the Head of the Cypriot Travel Agencies has informed the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, according to the country’s News Agency.

The Embassy of Cyprus in Madrid has contacted all Cypriots who reside permanently in Barcelona and so far there has been no information about any of them being among the victims.

The President of the Republic of Cyprus Nicos Anastasiades has condemned the “heinous terrorist act” in Barcelona.

‘Condemning in the strongest terms the heinous terrorist act in #Barcelona. My sincere condolences to the government & people of #Spain’ he wrote in his personal account on twitter.

Greek President Prokopis Pavlopoulos expressed his disgust at the “barbarous terrorist attack” in a message of condolences to Spanish King Felipe VI and the Spanish people.

Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras expressed “solidarity with the Spanish people and sympathy with the families of the victims.”


Article written by LGR

The Champions League Play-off, the First-Leg, 15th August 2017

APOEL Nicosia 2-0 Slavia Praha
De Camargo 2
Aloneftis 10

The Champions League Play-offs, the First-Leg, 16th August 2017

Olympiacos 2-1 Rijeka
Odjidja 66           Héber 42
Romao 90+3


Article written by London Greek Radio

Mixed results for Greek & Cypriots clubs in Europa League Play-offs

The Play-offs first-leg results, August 17th, 2017

Apollon Limassol 3-2 Midtjylland

Kyriakou 15′                  Sørloth 38, 74
Jander 70′
Pittas 90+1′

Plzeň 3-1 AEK Larnaca

Bakoš 29, 74 (P)            Acorán 8

Kolář 36

PAOK Thessaloniki 3-1 Östersund

Léo Matos 38
Prijovic 77, 88 (P)         Nouri 21 (P)

Panathinaikos 2-3 Athletic

Lod 29                                Aritz Aduriz 68, 74 (P)     De Marcos 71
Cabezas 55

Club Brugge 0-0 AEK Athens


Article written by London Greek Radio

Our very own UK Greeks/Cypriots celebrate August 15th or Dekapentavgoustos

Greek Orthodox Christians celebrate the Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos or the Dormition of the Most Holy Mother of God on August 15th or Dekapentavgoustos each year.

It is a national and religious holiday (in Greece and Cyprus) including our very own UK Greek & Cypriot community, attending local Church services. That marks the ”falling asleep,” repose or kimisis of the Virgin Mary, mother of the Lord Jesus Christ. The Feast also commemorates the Assumption of the body of the Theotokos into heaven.

The Greek Orthodox believe the doctrine of the Assumption, which teaches that at the end of her life, Mary, the mother of Christ, was taken body and soul (i.e. both physically and spiritually) into heaven to live with her son Jesus Christ, forever.

(Pic) Thank you to Fr Joseph Paliouras from The 12 Apostles,
Greek Orthodox Church, Hertfordshire, 15th August 2017


Article written by London Greek Radio

Forty-three years ago to this day the Turkish military launched its second offensive against the Republic of Cyprus, in full violation of international law, including the UN Charter, despite the ceasefire that had been agreed.

The Turkish army launched the second phase of the invasion on August 14, 1974, occupying the best part of Mesaoria, Famagusta, Karpasia and Morphou

The Turkish army invaded Cyprus on July 20, 1974, and launched the second phase of the invasion on August 14 of the same year, occupying the best part of Mesaoria, Famagusta, Karpasia and Morphou.

The Turkish side continues to disregard calls by the international community relating to Cyprus and continues to hold the city of Famagusta hostage of its illegal military occupation. Dubbed a “ghost town”, Famagusta’s fenced off section – called Varosha – remains to this day deserted, abandoned to the elements.

Turkish troops invaded Cyprus on July 20, 1974, five days after the legal government of the late Archbishop Makarios III was toppled by a military coup, engineered by the military junta then ruling Greece. Two unproductive conferences in Geneva followed; the first between Britain, Greece and Turkey and the second with the additional attendance of Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot representatives. Three weeks after the ceasefire of July 22, and despite the fact that talks were still being held and just as an agreement seemed about to be reached, the Turkish army mounted a second full-scale offensive. As a result, Turkey increased its hold to include the booming tourist resort of Famagusta in the east and the rich citrus-growing area of Morphou in the west.

All in all, almost 37% of the territory of the Republic of Cyprus came under Turkish military occupation. Nearly one-third of the population, some 200,000 Greek Cypriots, were forcibly uprooted from their homes and properties, thousands were killed during the hostilities, over 1,000 persons were listed as missing while thousands of Greek Cypriots and Maronites remained enclaved.

Numerous UN resolutions have demanded respect to the independence, unity and territorial integrity of Cyprus, the return of the displaced to their homes, and the withdrawal of foreign troops from the island, but all resolutions have been ignored by Turkey.

The latest effort to reach a Cyprus settlement was concluded last month in the Swiss resort of Crans-Montana without result. Cyprus Since then, President Nicos Anastasiades repeatedly said that he is ready to return to the negotiating table if Turkey accepts the termination of guarantees and intervention rights and is ready to withdraw its troops from the island.


Article written by CNA